Immigration: AOS Application Denied?

An unexpected scenario regarding my Adjustment of Status (AOS) application happened when we received a letter from the USCIS on Monday (September 21), stating that my application was denied.

The Scenario
My interview with the Immigration authorities for my AOS was scheduled on the 18th of August. However, on the very said date was when I gave birth to our daughter through an emergency C-section. Coincidence? Nah. I believe it's more of will from the One above.

My husband called the department's toll free number 1-800-375-5283 on the same day and informed them about the circumstance. We were advised to send a letter of request to re-schedule the appointment to the address where the interview will be held. The 8th of September, we mailed the letter. However, it was returned to us because of "undeliverable" address. Ryan called the toll free number again, inquired the correct address and re-mailed the letter. From then, we waited a letter from the USCIS with my new interview schedule. To our shock of horror, the letter we got was the very opposite of what we expected. The letter informed me that my application was denied because we failed to appear on the interview and they did not receive a request to reschedule the appointment or any explanation of the failure to appear on the said date. For this reason, it looked like I have abandoned my application, and therefore, it was denied.

Finding Resolution
That night, we decided to go to the USCIS office the next day hoping to resolve the problem as soon as possible. On the other hand, we also went online and set an appointment to meet an immigration officer through the INFOPASS because you cannot get inside their office unless you have an appointment letter/pass. The earliest available schedule is September 30. It would be more than a week from the day we got the letter, but still we agreed to go for it.

Sleepless Night
Of all people, my husband was the most worried about what happened (so was my mother-in-law). He was not able to sleep that night. He told me that if ever the worse case scenario will happen and I will be deported, he will surely go with me and the baby. We only need to sell everything we have in the country to start a new life in the Philippines. That was very heart-wrenching for me. He led us into prayer, asking God to help us. Deep inside me, I know everything will be resolved according to His plan.

Meeting Good-hearted People
We reached the USCIS office before 8 in the morning. My husband approached the security person. As expected, they didn't allow us to go inside the building because we didn't have an appointment letter/pass even if he told him it's an emergency. He told my husband to call the 1-800 number but the person on the phone was of no help at all. With faith that God will help and all the determination I had to settle the problem that day, I approached the security guy and explained briefly our case showing him the letter. My husband was there to help me explain too. Miraculously, the security people (3 of them) helped us. One personnel went inside the building carrying with him the letter and other proof of documentation we had. Later, he informed us that someone will attend our problem in few minutes. While waiting outside, a woman called my name. She gave us a blank paper and a pen, the original copies of our documents and photo copies of those for her to keep. She listened to our short explanation and asked us to write a letter about what happened. She assured my husband and me that they will look into our case and try to do a resolution in able for us not to pay another fee again ($1000+ for re-application is no joke).

Feeling Relieved
We drafted the requested letter and submitted it to the person in-charge. We are going back on the 30th (as the woman advised us since we set an appointment online) to see how our case has progressed. We sincerely hope that everything will be settled according to how we want it by the grace of God.

Looking back at the people who helped us that day is a proof that God's works are amazing. Because we asked, we received. Because we believed, we were rewarded.
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    Goodness, this shouldn't happen to you guys! I knew you both deserve to get an approval. Nevertheless, I admire your strength to keep your cool during this ordeal. My prayers are with you. I believe, they'll review your case and will give you another chance. You've come a long way already and going back is such a waste. By the way, why did it take long for you to file for AOS? I got my conditional green card after 6 months I arrived here.