Crunchy, Yummy Mini Saging (Banana) Turon


 I was quite inspired to make saging (banana) turon last night because my husband has been wanting to eat some after he had few bites in a Filipino restaurant weeks ago. Actually the banana turon they have is prepared differently from what I was used to back in the Philippines. Theirs don't have caramelized sugar coated on the wrapper. Instead, they pour caramel sauce on top of the banana turon. The caramel sauce makes it messy to pick up with bare hands. When eating banana turon, you are supposed to eat it with bare hands and not with fork.

Banana turon is one of my favorite Filipino desserts.
Turon is so good when eaten while it's still warm. My mom is the expert when it comes to making this dessert. Glad I watched her made banana turon before or else, I would be clueless on how to make it.

My husband envisioned bite sized banana turon. So I decided to cut the lumpia (egg roll) wrapper into two. Each piece looked cute (which I liked). His idea was brilliant! I melted natural cane turbinado sugar in the hot oil with the banana turon in it. It's easier for the sugar to stick on the wrapper when it's melted.

I was happy of the outcome. The wrapper turned so crunchy and the melted brown sugar coated around the wrapper made it yummier. It was a great treat—my husband loved it!
0 Responses