Not-So-Good News

My husband went home from work with a "bad news." His company laid off 60 employees including the husband of a fellow Filipina. That was shocking and despairing. Suddenly in one day, sixty people lost their job. By God's glory and faithfulness, he was not one of the group. He still has his job. Something that we were so grateful of.

The news was disturbing me. The "what if" questions were circling at the back of my mind. My husband noticed that I was silent sitting beside him while he was doing a crossword puzzle. He asked how I was doing and feeling. I answered I was fine. But he knew me better. He put down the book and pen, faced me, and commented that I looked tensed. I curled at his side, my head on his belly. It's one of the moments where he has to encourage me to speak up whatever it is that I feel or think. I told him I was worried. I was worried if a time comes that he will lost his job too. I was worried because I am not working. All the financial responsibility and burdens are on his shoulders.

My husband always has his inner strength for me. He assured me that everything for now will be ok. And if that time I feared happens, he can find another job. Most of all, he assured me of God's faithfulness and His love for us, and that, He will always be there to protect and provide our needs.

I know for sure that my husband worries these things too. But as the man in the family, he needs and wants to show me his strength. His faith in God is steadfast. He also told me that as long as we are together, whether we are rich or poor, life will always be beautiful and full of love.

I was sobbing when he was talking to me these things, our arms wrapped around each other. His shirt was damped with my tears. Then he asked, "do you know what's the best job in the world I have?" I asked, "what?" And he answered, "Being your husband." He said it's the kind of job that no money in the world can compensate. He melted my heart.

Later, I found myself holding both of his hands, head bowed, eyes closed while he said a prayer.

Our Master and Provider is always faithful to us. I give all the glory and my thanksgiving to Him. Times like this reminds me of Psalm 91:

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

0 Responses