Christmas 2010

This is my third Christmas in the U.S. and of course my young family. I can say that I am getting used to my husband's family tradition in celebrating Christmas. It's somehow different from what I was used to almost my entire life, but I am starting to love it.

Greeting Cards and Letters


I'm grateful that we're able to send our greeting cards and letters to family and friends before Christmas. We might have mailed it at the last minute, but it's an improvement. Some recipients who live just within the Valley received the cards before Christmas. Last year, we sent it so late. Embarrassing. Next year, we'll try our best to be better than what we did this year in sending out our greetings. Ryan wrote the letter. I assigned him to do it because he's so much better with writing letters and his humor is superb.





Purchasing and Wrapping Gifts
Fortunately, most of the stuff we ordered online arrived on time. I began to like buying stuff online after I get hooked on eBay :). I learned that I can get great deals at online stores as long as I have all the patience to search stuff "on sale." Well, there's also online coupons which you can't avail if you buy it in traditional stores. Another plus.

We wrapped presents for the family on the 23rd. My husband who once told me that he couldn't think of a gift to give me turned out wrapping my presents. He had to do it in the baby's room so I can't see it. He brought out 3 gift boxes, specially adorned with ribbons and bows. Hmmmm...I thought I don't have a gift, how come there's 3? The heavy one really intrigued me. I kept guessing that it's a kitchen gadget, but had to wait until Christmas morning and find out what's inside.

Because I already gave him the Tron shirt (which was supposed to be a surprise), he only got one box to open. It was already wrapped, so I didn't have to find a place to hide to wrap it.

Christmas Eve Church Service and Family Get-Together

It's already a tradition for us to attend church service on Christmas Eve. This time, we decided to go at 4:30 in the afternoon instead of the 6:30 service. As usual, the Worship Center was filled with churchgoers. I love Christmastime in church, not only because of the nice decorations around, but also the beautiful music that we didn't get to hear and see on typical Sunday service.

We headed straight to parents house after church. Mom's richly decorated tree was surrounded with wrapped presents. I remember in my first Christmas with them, I was in complete surprise of how much presents they gave us. It's a total opposite of what I was used to. I'd already be lucky if I will get at least one gift from a friend or family member.

I was very happy that Dad made BBQ ribs. It has been my favorite since then. On my first few months here, he'd ask me what was my favorite food here so far. I couldn't give him an answer until I tasted his BBQ ribs. Dad's BBQ ribs are special. It's because he made them with pure joy and love. Whenever I get BBQ ribs in restaurant I always compare it to Dad's. There's no BBQ ribs as tasty as what he makes for us.

The highlight of the night was the opening of presents. My daughter got tons of toys and clothes from her grandparents and Uncle Grahm, Aunt Alice, and cousin Marcus. We thought that this time since she's bigger, she'd be more interested ripping off the wrappers to find out what's inside. Most of what she cared for were the ornaments hanging on the Christmas tree.

As always, Ryan and me got a bunch of gifts from parents. They gave us most of what we listed on our Christmas wish list. :)

After we reached home from Mom and Dad's, I set up the Christmas tree and my husband assembled the kitchen we got for the little one. It took him a gruelling three hours to put it up together. Whew!

Christmas Family Morning
We got up so late—9 AM! Evie was still sleepy and was a bit cranky. She whimpered when we forced her to get up and led her to where the Christmas tree and gifts were. As soon as she saw the lighted tree full of ornaments, her excitement was stirred. All she wanted were the ball ornaments. She didn't care much of the wrapped presents until we showed her the kitchen. She checked it for a little bit and went back to grabbing the ornaments. The tree only lasted for a day. We decided to put it away because she already broke three glass ornaments and didn't want to cause her any cut from the broken pieces.
We had to help her open her gifts. She loves the kitchen a lot. I'm glad we got it for her.
Well as for the wife, yes me... she got a Snuggie, massager, and a box of Bath and Body Works lotions, shampoos, and conditioners from the dearest husband. I also got a pretty scarf from Jeff (thank you Jeff!) The wife gave the husband two pairs of Levi's jeans. :)

Christmas Get-Together at Uncle Tim and Aunt Pam's

Another tradition that Ryan's family does is a family dinner get-together at Aunt Pam and Uncle Tim's place. Yorkshire pudding and Standing Rib Roast are the traditional Christmas food they make. I stuffed myself too much—so were everyone who was there. The food was too irresistible to tell myself "stop eating." :)

The Scribblish game was a hit. We had so much fun showing off our talents in drawing (ha ha) and making up phrases of the drawings that the other people did. I personally like the game. Unfortunately, Mom was not there to have fun with us. She was still sick from the stomach flu so she stayed at home.

Our Christmas 2010 was fun, bountiful, and merry! I thank the Lord for such a great blessing!
0 Responses