Goodbye Samba

"Samba's dead." A shocking text I got from my sister last night. I didn't know how to react right after I read it. I was glued on the chair for a time, stood up, and broke the news to my husband. I told him the news in my casual tone of voice, like how I start up a normal conversation. Obviously, I was in denial. He came over to me and hugged me. That's when I broke into tears.

Samba was almost 11 years old. We've been together for more than 8 years. We were buddies. I took care of him from when he was so little. When I had to move from one place to another, he was also there. We were inseparable. We had a very close relationship while he was growing up. He'd always sleep beside me at night. Sometimes, I'd woke up with him laying on my stomach, purring.

Our closeness started to wane when I went to a bigger city to find another job. I left him for a month in the hands of my pet lover relatives. Weeks after I got a job, my older brother went home to get my things and Samba. I was very disappointed to find out that he didn't take Samba with him when he got back. I told him that I have preferred for him to leave all my things, but not Samba. My expectation was in vain. Fortunately, my younger brother who worked in a passenger ship promised that he will bring Samba to me. My buddy traveled so far away on a ship, and one day, we were reunited. Tears welled up when I saw him. I missed him terribly. A tight hug was all I can give. He acted like he didn't know me at all. The way he's acting made me think that he's sulking because I left him that long. But what's important was, we're together again.

A week after staying all day inside the house, he started to explore his new world. Back then, he only stayed inside the boarding house and never went out to the neighborhood. In the new place, it's totally different. He had to go out and explore the prospective territory.

He easily gained attention and favor from neighbors around because of how big and handsome he was. Most of all, people were surprised and found it funny that a "cat" has a name—not very typical in my country. Most cats don't have owners. They roam around places and scavenge for food to eat. When they are caught stealing food, the worst case scenario that could happen to these poor felines is get their skin burned because people splash them with hot water, or get whipped.

Samba was different. He's got someone who loved and took care of him. Our neighbors were so amused everytime they see me and him walking together, and me talking to him like I'm talking to another person. I talked to Samba a lot, and yes, like a human being. To me, he's no different with any human being I know. He's got feelings. He understood. He's got a life. And most of all he's got a heart. He was loved and he loved me back dearly. People around us saw this kind of relationship with us and they have learned to love him too. He was a celebrity in our neighborhood. Everyone knew him. Whenever he's not at home and I started looking for him, I just asked my neighbors if they had seen him. Finding him was not hard.

As he became familiar with his surroundings, he spent more and more time outside. Sometimes, he would come home with blood on his hair. Got into a fight and had to nurse his cuts. People who saw him fight would tell me what a brave warrior he was. He never allowed himself defeated. He's the king among all other male cats around, and he's the most popular among the females.

Every now and then, we still got the chance to spend time together specially during weekends. We'd play and cuddle. And when he got sick, he slept beside me. He's like a baby when he's not feeling well. He's spoiled when it comes to food. I always made sure that I made him fish and rice. I had to run to the public market to get fish and cook it just for him. This is one of the things that our neighbors found amusing. Me buying and cooking food for the cat. Usually, if people have cats as pets in their house, what the cats get for their stomach are the leftover foods. With fish, they typically just get the bones.

As my trip to the U.S. was getting near, I decided to take him to where my Mom lives because I knew that they will take good care of him (than leaving him in the care of my busy brother). Transporting him from one island to another myself would be difficult. But, I was all willing go to through all the physical hardships because I was assured of his good welfare at my parent's place once I leave him.

Our goodbye was tough. I had to tell my brother again and again how he should give Samba extra love and care. The first month of adjustment was not easy for him. But later as expected, he got used to the new people and place around him.

So finally yesterday, his goodbye was forever. I thought I'd see him once again when I go and visit everyone. I wished I was there. All I can do was wish. He may be gone, but his memories and my love for him is forever etched in my heart. I love you Samba. Until we meet again.

0 Responses